Art Handler / Preparator
Position: Art Handler / Preparator
Reports to: Lead Technician
Job Type: Full-Time
About Rennie Collection:
Rennie Collection is an internationally heralded contemporary art collection. The collection is very active with loans to institutions globally, as well as projects with various artists. Additionally, we maintain Rennie Museum which, since its inception in October 2009, has become one of Vancouver’s most preeminent art institutions. The collection focuses on thought-provoking art that encourages dialogue on social issues and address various facets of contemporary art. We are the proud custodian of work by a diverse group of both emerging and internationally renowned artists, encompassing a wide range of mediums, including painting, photography, sculpture, video, and installations. www.renniecollection.org
About the Opportunity:
Reporting to the Lead Technician, this position is part of a small, skilled team in the care of a large collection and assists with museum exhibition preparations. Major duties include handling, packing and care of artworks in the permanent collection, preparation of gallery spaces and installation of exhibitions.
- Packing/unpacking/receiving and movement of artwork.
- Accurate and timely updates to inventory in database.
- Produce detailed and accurate condition reports.
- Load and unload truck and van deliveries, and transport artwork locally.
- Installation and de-installation of artwork in exhibitions and other display materials.
- Preparing galleries for exhibitions, including but not limited to painting/patching gallery walls, building temporary walls, fabricating display units, installing vinyl lettering, adjusting lighting.
- Regular maintenance of galleries including cleaning of display cases and upkeep of the general appearance of exhibitions.
- Maintain art storage areas and preparatory spaces, and when necessary, perform some basic building maintenance.
- Maintain shop equipment and assist with safe operation of security equipment and systems.
- When necessary, arrange for, install and operate audio-visual equipment for exhibitions and museum programming.
- Assist with the set-up and take-down of museum-related events.
- High school diploma or equivalent (Bachelor’s degree in fine art is an asset).
- Two years related experience or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Knowledge of art handling practices and procedures: safe art storage, packing, crating, and transport techniques and procedures.
- Experience operating pallet jacks, forklifts, and scissor lifts an asset.
- Skill in the safe use and care of standard hand and power tools; and knowledge of safety regulations, practices and procedures.
- Audio-visual experience an asset.
- Highly motivated to learn as we will provide additional training and support.
- Excellent attention to detail, good organization, and communication skills.
- Professional demeanor, ability to work cooperatively within a team.
- Able to work occasional irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- A valid BC Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
Working Condition and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs and work on scaffolding or ladders.
- Able to safely lift materials up to 50 pounds and maneuver objects of substantial size and weight on a regular basis without damage to object or person.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel and to stand for up to eight (8) hours per day.
- Ability to safely operate power tools, and other equipment and machinery that require constant attention.
- Ability to work around paints, solvents, and other similar products in a gallery environment.
Rennie Collection hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity.
Please submit via EMAIL ONLY to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Resume showing relevant experience.
- Cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications.
- Three professional references (references will be contacted, in confidence, and credentials will be confirmed prior to hire).
- Please note, a criminal records check will be conducted before a final job offer.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.